Spanish wine was awarded 44 times at the International Competition Garnachas World, held on February 3 in Perpignan, France. In this second edition appeared in 403 wines from 209 wine cellars, from 7 different countries: Spain, France, Italy, Australia, Canada, South Africa and Macedonia
Only wines that are made of at least 60% Garnacha grapes were eligible to attend: normal wines, fortified wines, sparkling wines, liqueurs, sweet wines etc. Reviewed and evaluated were these by an expert team.
But not only the best Garnacha in the world were sought, in this event, it was mainly also to winemaking and the ageing of these wines, and the variety offered by this depending on the origin and manufacturer.
A list of winners, led by Spanish and French names, in the end it is a variety that originated in Aragon and Catalonia, and which has quickly spread across other Mediterranean areas.
GRAND GOLD MEDAL
- Baltasar Gracian Viñas Viejas 2011 de Bodegas San Alejandro D.O. Calatayud
- Castillo Rocio Garnacha 2012 de Vinnico Export D.O Carinena
- Chateau Les Pins Primage 2008 SCV-Vignobles Dom Brial de AOP Rivesaltes Grental
- Ètim Verema Tardana 2012 Agricola Falset-Marca D.O. Montsant
- Guilhem de Cabestany 2007 de SARL Terroirs Romans AOP Rivesaltes Tuile
- Pierrre D`Aspres 1994 de Les Vignobles du sud Roussillon AOP Rivesaltes Tuile Hors D`Age
The competition was first held in 2013, on the initiative of Roussillon (France), with the intention to highlight the value of the Garnacha. This grape variety is planted on more than 200,000 hectares of vineyards, and thus present on most vineyards in the world. Here is the complete list of winners of the competition, find yourself a wine made of Garnacha, and tell us your opinion.