Red wine gifts are the best gifts!Red is the colour of love, and red wine is perhaps the most sensual beverage there is. A bottle of vin rouge is always classy, and the right bottle will really impress your significant other. Here, we’ve thought long and hard and come up with some of the top red wine gifts that will truly get you in the good books this Valentine’s Day.
The best red wine gifts for your ValentineThere are a number of approaches you can take here, so let’s walk through some of the best ideas for giving the gift of red wine.
Play favouritesThis one is a no-brainer: If you happen to know your loved one’s favourite wine, give it to them! If that’s a specific wine, great. Most people have a favourite type of wine as opposed to a favourite specific wine, so find that out and you’re golden. Browse wines from Rioja, Bordeaux, or whatever your Valentine likes and you’re unlikely to go wrong.
Size mattersWhen it comes to presentation, what’s better than a bottle of red wine? A bigger bottle of red wine. Large format wines make great gifts, and the magnum size is just perfect. Some of our top picks for large format red wine gifts include:
- PSI 2013 Magnum, a super 1.5 litre bottle from the esteemed Dominio Pingus in Ribera del Duero. This one will seriously impress!
- Pintia 2007 Magnum is a top Toro wine in a suitably large format. It doesn’t come cheap, but other vintages of this wine frequently cost twice as much, so this represents excellent value for money.
- Vega Sicilia Único 1991 Magnum is perhaps the king of red wine gifts. Vega Sicilia is one of the world’s premiere wine estates, and this is their Gran Reserva wine in magnum.
Significant datesRed wine gifts are impressive enough alone, but perhaps the best recipe for success is to combine the wine with a thoughtful nod to a significant date in your relationship. The best way to do this is by picking a wine whose vintage has some sort of special meaning.
- Your anniversary is always a good bet. Had your first date in 2007? Grab a vintage Bordeaux from that year, such as Château Cos Labory 2007 or Château d’Issan 2007. 2007 was a solid year in Bordeaux but has been outshined by excellent vintages including 2005, 2009 and 2010. This means that you can score top red wine gifts from top producers in this vintage without spending a fortune. If you met during one of the more famous vintages, expect to pay a little more or look to an alternate region!
- Your Valentine’s birth year is another good option. Older wines tend to be either expensive or past their best (or both), but shop around and you’ll find some stunning vintages like Vega Sicilia Único 1989, Château Haut-Brion 1994, and Château Ducru-Beaucaillou 1995.