The Artadi Wines:
- Pagos Viejos 2010, a classic among classics. (95 points in the Peñín Guide)
- Viña el Pisón 2010, the flagship of Artadi and one of the few spanish wines, which are recognized with 100 points by Parker (in this case the vintage 2004). (96 points Peñín Guide).
- Valdeginés 2010, “estate wine”, morning sun, fresh fruit, liqueur-like (95 points in the Peñín Guide)
- El Carretil 2010, the grape comes from a 5.3-hectare plantation, possibly the best “estate wine” from Artadi (98 points in the Peñín Guide).
- La Poza 2010, afternoon sun, bulky, powerful and with more tannins than the Valdeginés. (96 points in the Peñín Guide)
- Artadi Tempranillo 2010, wine with good price-performance ratio, the younger brother of Viñas de Gain, as it comes from the same vineyards. Good fruit, balanced with wood, good resistance.
Vineyard Profile:Artadi (Cosecheros Alaveses-Artadi) is a relatively new winery. Although it is a community of winemakers from Alava, the project’s driving force is the respected wine expert Juan Carlos Lopez de la Calle. Thanks to his excellent work, it has been possible to improve upon the classic Rioja by developing the site’s wines using modern methods to produce elegant, very home-related bottles full of nuance. The project sets an example to all other wine experts.
The Terroir (or What Makes This Wine Unique)
- The soil is a limestone/clay mix - a fantastic blend;
- Annual rainfall is 750 - 1250 mm/year, or temperate rather than dry;
- The vineyards are in the lofty mountains;
- Normal temperatures range from 8.2 to 19.1 degrees C.