Buy a wine decanter glassThe nice thing about the wine decanter glass is that it looks like a giant wine glass. Hell, it could be a giant wine glass! What could be more fun than drinking from such an oversized novelty glass like that? The truth is that wine decanter glasses can decant your wine just as good as more traditional models, without looking overly flashy or posh. In fact, more and more trendy wine bars throughout the world are using these funky glasses to decant and serve wine. Keep an eye out and you’ll be sure to spot them soon. Among the other benefits of the wine decanter glass are that:
- It’s easy to use. Seriously. Some of the more complex models can be a little tricky, but the oversized wine decanter glass is seriously simple. Pour the wine into the decanter glass, swirl gently if you like or simply leave for a little while, and then pour from the decanter into your normal-sized glass. Most of these decanters have a little jug-style lip so pouring is super easy.
- It’s a talking point. Instead of your friends thinking you have become an unrelenting wine snob, they will spot your eye-catching giant wine decanter glass and instantly want to know more. Tell them the truth, make up a fantastic story, whatever: In any event, people are talking and the party has started!
- It’s easy to clean. Traditional decanters are notoriously difficult to keep clean and sparkly. Not the case with your giant wine decanter glass. There are no hard-to-reach parts or narrow tubes, what you see if what you get. If you can clean a wine glass, you can clean this thing!
Alternatives to consider instead of a wine decanter glassOK, let’s say that the oversized wine decanter glass is not quite unconventional enough for your liking, or you don’t actually own a decanter and you need to decant a fancy old wine (or not so fancy young wine!) very quickly. We have gathered a number of alternative methods to decant wine without a decanter, though be warned that these are pretty out there. Proceed with caution!
- Use any large clear glass vessel. This one is straightforward and safe enough. Take any large, clean and clear piece of glassware like a jug. Decant as normal.
- Alternatively, you could use something non-glass or non-clear, but be careful that it’s clean and that the material is neutral and won’t impart any unusual or unpleasant flavours on the wine.
- Decant your wine with a blender. This one is definitely unconventional, though it’s certainly creative! We’re not sure that we could really recommend this one for your finer wines, but it could be a worthwhile experiment with a younger wine of lower quality that is a little harsh or closed.